Step 8: Monitor your API's performance
Apigee's API gateway collects information as data passes through it. The data includes API call information (URL, IP, and user ID) latency, errors, and so on. This data is gathered into trend charts and tables throughout the API Platform UI. You can use this data to both monitor the health of your API program overall and the health of individual APIs. See Use the built-in charts for more information.
Now that you've deployed your API, you can use the data charts to see how it's being used.
- In the API Platfiorm, click the Dashboard tab.
This takes you to the main dashboard.
- Click the All APIs button.
This takes you to the API Proxies summary table, which displays statistics for all the APIs in your organization. You can use this data to get a sense of the operational efficiency of your systems. You can quickly see anomalies in traffic data that can indicate an issue with your backend systems.
- Find weather in the table. For this API, you can see:
Traffic The number of calls this API has received. Message Trend by hour A visual representation of the traffic for this API. You can quickly see where there were spikes in traffic. Average Response Time The time an API takes to respond to an incoming request. Error rate The fraction of all API requests that are unsuccessful (the request does not deliver a response as desired by the end user). Average Data Exchange The size of request and response. That is, the amount of data that is transferred in both directions as a request for an API is serviced and a response is generated and delivered to the calling entity.
- Navigate to the Performance section at the bottom of the table.
These controls let you adjust the metrics for the chart that appears at the bottom of the page. The chart shows a visual representation of the throughput for each of your APIs.
- Click the Metric menu and choose Maximum Response Time.
- Select the test environment.
- Click the Time period menu and choose 1 hr. The API table and performance chart change to show the maximum response time over the last hour.
Help or comments?