An API product is a collection of API resources combined with a service plan and presented to developers as a bundle. The product can also include some metadata specific to your business for monitoring or analytics.
API Products are the central mechanism for authorization and access control to your APIs. In the API Platform, API Keys are provisioned, not for APIs themselves, but instead for API products. In other words, API Keys are provisioned for bundles of URIs with an attached service plan. See Set up API products for more information.
Note: You can automatically add a sample API product when you create an API proxy. To do that, check the Security checkbox in the Add Features section of the New API wizard, then check Generate sample developers and apps. However, in this tutorial, we'll show you how to add an API product after you've initially created the API proxy.
- In the API Platform UI, click the Publish tab, then Products. If the API Platform is not open, click here.
- Click the + Product button.
- In the Add Product page, enter Tutorial Product for the Name and My tutorial API product for the description.
- Select test as the environment, and then select Internal only for the access level.
This limits access to the developers in your organization.
- Enter 500 as the Service Limits and select Week.
- Enter Read as the Scope.
- In the API Details section, click the API & Resource paths menu and choose weather. Leave the other menu as is. This indicates that you'll be adding all the API's resources to the product.
- Click Add API, and then click Save.
You'll see your new product in the Products list.