The Business Transactions Dashboard lets you monitor and visually compare traffic for specific API patterns across multiple API proxies. This information helps you understand changes in API traffic that might be caused by specific business, marketing, or partner events.
For example, suppose that your marketing team hosts a program that drives customers to a specific site. The URI pattern for that site will experience an increase in traffic, giving the team a way to measure the impact of the program in real time.
The Business Transactions dashboard
|Traffic||Also known as throughput. The number of API requests and resulting responses seen by the organization.|
|Average Response Time||The time an API takes to respond to an incoming request.|
|Error Rate||The fraction of all API requests that are unsuccessful, that is, the request does not deliver a response as desired by the end user.|
|Average Data Exchange||The size of request and response. That is, the amount of data that is transferred in both directions as a request for an API, and as a response that is generated and delivered to the calling entity.
The Business Transactions dashboard requires the following setup steps:
- In the API Management menu, select API Proxies from the APIs menu.
- In the API Proxies page, select the proxy you wish to measure.
- In the Performance section of the page, you will see if there are any URI Patterns specified. To add a pattern, click +URI Pattern. These are the patterns that the Business Transaction Dashboard will examine and compare with patterns from other APIs. For more details on configuring URI Patterns, see "Monitoring the performance of individual URIs in an API proxy".
- After adding a pattern, click the checkmark button to add the pattern.
- From the Analytics menu, select Business Transaction Dashboard.
- Click the configuration (gear) icon next to the Business Transactions heading. The URI patterns for all APIs in your organization are listed there.
- Select the URI patterns you wish to compare and specify a date range.
- Click Save.
To add more transactions, follow this same procedure to add URI patterns from as many APIs as you wish.
Patterns begin with a forward slash and can include the asterisk (*) wildcard as part of the pattern.
For example, given a proxy base path of /v1/inventory and resource paths of:
you can collect metrics on the following URIs:
- /1 - Collects metrics on the /1 URI
- /abc/123 - Collects metrics on the /abc/123 URI
- /abc/*/dec - Collects metrics on the /abc/123/dec and /abc/456/dec URIs
This dashboard uses standard controls, like the date and data aggregation selectors, hovering over graphs for more context, and so on. To learn more, see Using the analytics dashboards.